CoinDesk is the most trusted media, events, indices and data company for the global crypto economy. Since 2013, CoinDesk Media has led the story of the future of money and investing, illuminating the transformation in society and culture that comes with it. Our award-winning team of journalists delivers news and unparalleled insights that bring transparency, comprehension and context. CoinDesk Events gathers the global crypto, blockchain and Web3 communities at annual events such as Consensus, the world's largest and longest-running crypto festival. CoinDesk Indices offers expertise in digital asset indices, data and research to educate and empower investors. For more information on CoinDesk media and events, please visit coindesk.com and for breaking headlines, data and indices visit coindeskmarkets.com.
About the Role
The Controller will manage all operational aspects of accounting and reporting, including billing, payables, credit and collections, cash management, monthly closings, year-end closings, taxes, and the creation of financial statements. You will also be responsible for contract due diligence and will liaise with auditors and tax practitioners as needed. This is an exciting opportunity to join a high-growth organization where you will have an opportunity to develop and lead accounting policies & procedures uniformly within the organization and teams. Additionally, you should have M&A and funding experience as we look to accelerate growth over the next year. You will work to enhance our financial system, standardize processes, and identify operating efficiencies as CoinDesk continues to grow.
CoinDesk is a high-paced, results-orientated environment. The ideal candidate will recognize and adapt to the environment, bringing new ideas to what can be a fun and very rewarding opportunity personally, professionally, and financially.
- Financial reporting: Produce periodic management financial and key metric reports to ensure timely and accurate financial information is available to decision-makers. Field queries regarding the same and contribute to our ongoing assessment of the financial health and direction of the company.
- Accounting policy: Ensure adherence to GAAP, as well as research and document accounting policies on complex emerging matters.
- Accounting system: Ensure that General Ledger and accounting systems (including the chart of accounts and all dimensions) are designed and maintained to capture and report the appropriate financial data for all entities to ensure timely and consistent with GAAP.
- Assist with the accounting due diligence process for M&A activity as well as funding rounds as applicable.
- Cash flow, Balance sheet, AP and AR management, reporting, and forecasting.
- Engage that technology systems relied on for financial reporting are appropriate, and leverage new technology to streamline internal processes.
- Support the VP of Finance & Ops for all internal control-related initiatives to ensure auditors can rely on controls-based audit engagements.
- Support the VP of Finance & Ops in complex roll-up of a bottoms up financial company-wide budget process on a continual basis with a primary focus on cash forecasting.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required; CPA and Controller experience required (public company experience preferred, not required)
- Minimum 10 years of accounting experience required with at least 5 years of supervisory experience
- Experience in a fast-growth stage startup preferred
- Experience with M&A and funding rounds as well as associated diligence
- Experience managing the cap table, accounting for stock-based compensation, and relevant reporting (e.g., stockholder’s equity)
- Relevant experience in Media, Events, or Indices industry is a plus
- Proven ability to work independently and with cross-functional teams in a fast-paced environment
- Multitask and manage/prioritize own workload to meet deadlines
- Analytical thinker
- Strong financial data system technical skills (knowledge of Sage Intacct a plus)
- Excellent communication and documentation skills
- Systems savvy / technology enthusiast - an ability to understand the flow of financial information through systems and the ability to apply technology to improve process
- Collaborative worker/team player
- Experience with Coinbase, Bitpay, and Stripe platforms are a plus
- Competitive Annual Salary and Incentive Compensation
- Robust Health Insurance Plans - 90% Employer contribution on Medical/Dental/Vision premiums inclusive of eligible HSA/HDHP and FSA plan options
- Flexible Time Off because work/life balance actually means something to us!
- 401(k) & Retirement Savings Plans
- Parental Leave & Dependent Care - 16 Weeks Paid Parental Leave, Dependent Care FSA
- Full Home Office Set Up & Stipend - $250 Home Office Stipend to create your dream WFH space!
- In Office Perks Include hybrid/remote flex contingent upon team preference
CoinDesk Inc and CoinDesk Indices Inc. are committed to offering competitive compensation and benefits. The anticipated base salary for this position is $200,000 - $214,000 + discretionary annual target bonus + benefits. Offered salary may vary by geographic location, including city and state, and will be reflective of job-related knowledge, skills and commensurate experience.
In an effort to attract, retain, develop and promote the most qualified individuals, CoinDesk is committed to treating all applicants and employees in a nondiscriminatory manner with respect to the terms and conditions of employment, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status/service, physical or mental disability, or any other classification protected by applicable law. This mandate governs all aspects of employment, including recruitment, selection, promotion, training, education, social and recreation programs, compensation, discipline, termination and access to benefits.
For more information on our DEI initiatives, please visit: https://www.coindesk.com/dei/.
Please note that only a member of CoinDesk’s Talent Acquisition team will reach out to you directly from an @coindesk.com or @coindesk-indices.com email in regards to any and all opportunities at CoinDesk. Disregard emails from any other addresses or persons. If you’re selected to move onto the next phase of our hiring process, a member of our team will reach out to guide you through our interview process. We look forward to connecting!