Lead, Regulatory Compliance (Credit Card)
Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice — our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations or from home.
The Department: Compliance
Compliance at Gemini is a team dedicated to managing the next generation of financial crime prevention and regulatory compliance in a complex and evolving environment. We are a diverse group of technology, legal, and operational professionals who develop new approaches to solving classic problems using cutting edge tools and processes.
The Role: Lead, Compliance (Credit Card)
In this role, you will be the ultimate generalist and compliance subject matter expert across consumer finance regulation, financial crime, and other domains. You will have a leading role in shaping and executing the Compliance Management System (CMS) to deliver products that put customers first in line with the requirements set to us by consumer finance regulations and partners. You will work with the Head of Compliance in managing the risk assessment, issue management/resolution, complaint, internal testing, and governance processes.
The ideal candidate will have significant experience in consumer financial compliance at a credit card company, FinTech or other financial services setting. A deep understanding of and experience with consumer regulations such as ECOA, TILA, UDAAP, FRCA, among others is required. This position will have the opportunity to be exposed to senior management and the Board by delivering and managing presentations, KPIs. The Regulatory Compliance Lead will have a strong resourceful aptitude for organization, applying rules and regulations in real-time scenarios as well as collaboration with inter-departmental business unit owners, and fostering a culture of compliance throughout the organization.
- Monitor operational processes and procedures to ensure that the company operates in accordance with applicable regulations as well as with the CMS Policy.
- Supervise the Compliance Associate in areas of compliance testing and monitoring, complaint management, issue management, audit findings resolution, and governance.
- Drive the development and execution of remediation and testing plans to address issues/findings, which may include process updates, documentation and/or training.
- Lead the design and implementation of the monitoring & testing framework to provide independent, risk-based monitoring of regulatory compliance.
- Provide timely and accurate advice and guidance to the Gemini Credit Card’s teams on issues arising from compliance policy areas and subject matter within the responsibility of the Compliance Department.
- Partner with the broader Counsel team to address emerging trends, regulations and business objectives; share information about developments in the product and Compliance program to organize efficient and transparent support across the departments.
- Take a leading role in identifying, mapping out, enhancing, documenting, and rating controls and risks as part of our Risk Assessment process.
- Lead responses to periodic audits, reporting requirements, regulatory examinations, and assessments.
- Acts as contact person and liaison between department heads and senior management at Gemini as well as our Bank partner.
- Manage the tracking and timely resolution of customer complaints.
- Maintain current knowledge of applicable laws and regulations and understand regulatory impact of changes to product/service offerings.
- Bachelor degree. Juris Doctor, ACAMS, and /or CFE preferred.
- 6+ years of experience in regulated finance or fintech industry with a focus on credit card regulatory/consumer compliance.
- Thorough understanding of lending/credit financial services and key laws, regulations, guidance, and industry-standard practices such as UDAAP; Regulation B, E, D/DD, Z, V; SCRA; GLBA; BSA/AML; etc. and associated regulations.
- Strong project management, time management, and organizational skills.
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills with a strong attention to detail.
- Proven ability to proactively, efficiently, and accurately assess risks in a fast-paced environment.
- Track record of creative problem-solving, excellent written and oral communication skills, and creation of strong and trusted cross-functional relationships.
- Interest in building the future of compliance and an owner’s mindset to your work.
- Competitive starting salary
- A discretionary annual bonus
- Long-term incentive in the form of a new hire equity grant
- Comprehensive health plans
- 401K with company matching
- Annual Learning & Development stipend
- Paid Parental Leave
- Flexible time off
Salary Range: The base salary range for this role is between $122,000 - $170,000 in New York City, the State of California and the State of Washington. This range is not inclusive of our discretionary bonus or equity package. When determining a candidate’s compensation, we consider a number of factors including skillset, experience, job scope, and current market data.
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.