Compliance Officer, Crypto Facilities
Posted on Tuesday, September 5, 2023
Building the Future of Crypto
Our Krakenites are a world-class team with crypto conviction, united by our desire to discover and unlock the potential of crypto and blockchain technology.
What makes us different? Kraken is a mission-focused company rooted in crypto values. As a Krakenite, you’ll join us on our mission to accelerate the global adoption of crypto, so that everyone can achieve financial freedom and inclusion. For over a decade, Kraken’s focus on our mission and crypto ethos has attracted many of the most talented crypto experts in the world.
Before you apply, please read the Kraken Culture page to learn more about our internal culture, values, and mission.
As a fully remote company, we have Krakenites in 60+ countries who speak over 50 languages. Krakenites are industry pioneers who develop premium crypto products for experienced traders, institutions, and newcomers to the space. Kraken is committed to industry-leading security, crypto education, and world-class client support through our products like Kraken Pro, Kraken NFT, and Kraken Futures.
Become a Krakenite and build the future of crypto!
Proof of Work
This role is remote. As the designated Compliance Officer, you will be responsible for Crypto Facilities compliance with all applicable Functional Requirements in order for us to successfully meet MiFID II MTF and CASS obligations. You will build and manage a small team to ensure that Crypto Facilities maintains good regulatory standing with the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
The ideal candidate should have experience working in a brokerage or exchange trading environment, with a deep understanding of requirements applicable to activities under MiFID, MiFIR, MAR, SMCR and UK crypto asset regulatory frameworks, and be well-versed in ongoing regulatory and policy discussions in the UK with respect to crypto assets.
- Be responsible for the ongoing compliance of the firm with all applicable regulatory requirements for operating a Multilateral Trading Facility (MTF).
- Be responsible for compliance matters associated with our activities under the Financial Conduct Authority’s (“FCA”) Client Assets Sourcebook (“CASS”) and, in turn, for the establishment and adequate functioning of appropriate policies, procedures
- Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of operational risks (including technology security risk, operational resilience and business continuity), conduct risks and prudential risks in order to build an effective risk monitoring programme
- Critical role in supporting the ongoing product development / delivery activity to ensure regulatory compliance is addressed at an early stage.
- Monitor internal and external business, regulatory and technology environments to identify new or emerging risks and verify remediation of issues as applicable.
- Be responsible for the submission and oversight of all regulatory reports/ad hoc filings, transaction reporting, STORs, etc
- Develop and oversee the Compliance Monitoring Programme
- Develop and maintain a relationship with the relevant local regulatory authority on behalf of Crypto Facilities
- Work closely with the CEO of Crypto Facilities and regional leadership to ensure close alignment and operational compliance efficiencies for regional group entities are implemented.
- Provide internal training as required.
Skills you should HODL
- J.D., L.L.M., M.B.A. or other advanced degree is preferred but not required
- 8+ years in a previous regulatory or compliance position at an FCA regulated financial institution (SMF 16)
- Experience within trading venue compliance at an FCA regulated firm
- Derivative Product experience across MiFID II
- Comprehensive knowledge of the UK regulatory environment, developments, and licensing requirements - particularly MiFID and CASS
- Familiarity with anti-money laundering and know-your-customer best practices in UK & EU markets
- Skilled in collaborating with stakeholders at all levels across technical and non-technical groups
- Ability to lead in a fast growing company environment with focused and hardworking individuals
- Strong preference for prior regulated crypto services experience
Kraken is powered by people from around the world and we celebrate all Krakenites for their diverse talents, backgrounds, contributions and unique perspectives. We hire strictly based on merit, meaning we seek out the candidates with the right abilities, knowledge, and skills considered the most suitable for the job. We encourage you to apply for roles where you don't fully meet the listed requirements, especially if you're passionate or knowledgable about crypto!
As an equal opportunity employer, we don’t tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind. Whether that’s based on race, ethnicity, age, gender identity, citizenship, religion, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state or local laws.
Stay in the know